Step 1: Go to the store and buy a jar of roasted red peppers.
Step 2: Return the jar and buy red peppers from the produce aisle.
Roasting your own peppers is significantly healthier than buying them, and you control what gets added with your peppers. I roast mine absolutely plain, but you can drizzle with olive oil and/or add salt and pepper. Here’s how to:
- Preheat oven to “Broil.”
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut peppers in accordance with their flat sides – so you want to be able to lay them flat.
- Lay sliced peppers flat on the sheet with the outsides facing up.
- Roast peppers in oven in the top rack for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove peppers and place in closed plastic bag for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove peppers from back and peel off skin and charred parts.