Seriously, though, what is oil pulling and why is it becoming more popular?
What is it: the process of swishing oil in your mouth for 20 minutes
Why is it spreading: because there’s no harm and people have actually had positive results
Oil pulling is one of the easiest ways to help incorporate a method of detoxification into your daily life.
Here’s how you do it:
- Wake up and stick a tablespoon of healthy oil in your mouth. I use coconut oil but you can also use sesame oil, sunflower oil, or olive oil.
- Swish it around in your mouth while you continue with your morning routine. You want to build up to 20 minutes.
- Spit out in the garbage.
- Rinse mouth with water and brush your teeth. (Added boost: scrape your tongue after rinsing but before brushing)
Things to keep in mind:
- DO NOT SWALLOW! You may want to gag or swallow at first, but you will only bring toxins back into your body that were pulled out. Personally, I wanted to swallow because toxins were coming out and my sinuses were swelling up, making it nearly impossible to breathe through my nose. Spit it out instead. As I said earlier, you want to build up to 20 minutes. Eventually, your body will get cleaner and you will not have these sensations again, and oil pulling will become a cinch.
- Do not spit it out in the toilet, sink, or anything else with a drain, as the oil will eventually clog the pipes.
- The more toxic your body is, the harder oil pulling will be. But that’s a good thing. The toxins want to stay embedded in your body so they have a tough time coming out. Push on through, it’ll be worth it.
The idea behind oil pulling is that the oil pulls the harmful toxins, bacteria, fungus, etc. through your gums, pores of your teeth, etc.
People have noticed changes in their body, including whitening of their teeth, preventing bad breath, prevents cavities and gingivitis, eases digestive problems, and getting rid of their allergies and other illnesses. My teeth have become whiter, yes. I have a friend who has suffered from nausea and vomiting in the morning, and she would have a lot of trouble holding down food in the morning. I suggested that she try oil pulling, and lo and behold, it helped! So oil pulling affects people in different ways but I have yet to hear any harm coming from oil pulling.
So why not give it a try?